Monday, January 31, 2005

Blipverts

I have been thinking of downloading Lipton Cup A Soup's "Beat the 3 pm Slump," to see what the fuss is all about.

Advertisements merging with video games is not new. I remember playing a 7-Up "Cool Spot" game for the Sega Genesis, as well as "Mick and Mack:Global Gladiators" which seems like it referenced to McDonald's.

Another example: Red Bull billboards appearing in the futuristic cityscapes of the Wipeout racing games for the Playstation. I always thought it was a make-believe beverage.

I started thinking about the World War II-era Warner Brothers cartoons, that embraced America's part in that conflict. For some reason today's animated characters do not lend their visages to any militaristic side-taking. Comic book characters are still major players in world events, though.

Video games tied into current movies are largely embraced (Spider-Man 2, Van Helsing, The Chronicles Of Riddick). This kind of marketing doesn't seem far from the "product placements posing as past-times" at the Lipton website.

Anything ad agencies want us to consume seem to sprout arms, legs and a mouthy attitude. I think I saw Mr. Peanut sporting "bling" on TV the other day. I don't want my M&Ms to have any "last words" before they are snacked on. I prefer not to think of chicken nuggets as sentient.


Ad characters I haven't seen in awhile/
video games they could star in:

Twinkie the Kid--
A first person shooter of some sort. Goal: assassinate King Don

Digum the Frog--
A Frogger-type game, with drivers in SUVS talking on cell phones

The Scrubbing Bubbles--
Your objective: clean major cities, state-by-state-- sequel could be set in Europe

Cavity Creeps--
Player must keep a dammed river of Mountain Dew from bursting and flooding Toothville

Smokey the Bear--
RPG

Kool Aid Man--
Tom Clancy-type adventure, involving stealth

Pet Rocks--
Japanese horror movie-influenced puzzle game

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home